I've adapted the questions below for parents from Sacramento Teacher Larry Ferlazzo's "Five Questions for Parents to Ask Ourselves" aimed at classroom practice for teachers. (see link below)
1) Does my question bring me closer to my child—or push me away?
2) Does our activity connect with my child’s personal interests and goals?
3) Am I setting things up so my child “does the work” – instead of me?
4) Am I helping my child to develop and use “higher level thinking skills”
(figuring it out rather than memorizing)
5) Am I encouraging cooperative, continuous learning?
(with my questions and support of thinking activities with siblings and friends.
Larry's good article, which provides much context for these questions can be read at: http://www.edweek.org/tm/articles/2011/08/16/ferlazzo_fiveways.html